There's a worldwide move towards a new kind of medicine, a medicine which improves health, focusing on the underlying dysfunction in the body rather than treating the disease (usually with drugs). In Healthy Medicine medical doctor Bernard Brom explains the principles of this new medicine, based on his experience of more than 30 years researching and using non-drug ways to help his patients. It is the distillation of Dr Brom's experience working with body, mind, and spirit to achieve optimal health.
- This course is presented as a series of online, self-study, learning modules presented by Dr Bernard Brom, a pioneer in the field of Integrative Medicine with over 40 years of experience.
- There are seven parts to the course, six of which are recorded lectures covering the philosophy and principles of Integrative Medicine, lifestyle management, dysfunctions, management of ill-health, and Dr Brom’s Mind Maps.
- Lectures total 32 hours in all.
- The seventh part is not recorded but is available to download. It includes two booklets, one of Useful Products and the other detailing Protocols Dr Brom has successfully used in his practice.
Who should do the course?
The course has been specifically designed for:
- Medical doctors wanting to learn the principles of Integrative Medicine and how to focus their practice on improving the health of their patients, not just treating disease.
- Health practitioners of different backgrounds who want to expand their knowledge base around the underlying functionality of body systems. The course covers in detail aspects such as leaky gut, methylation, liver detox and immune dysregulation
Why YOU should do the course
- This course focuses on the philosophy and principles of Integrative and Functional Medicine, unlike many others which concentrate on the science and management of dysfunction and often forget that medicine is an art that uses science to measure what can be measured. Most of what it means to be human cannot be measured and why medicine will always remain an art. There is however a huge amount of information available that is science-based, and while this is not ignored in this course, we look at a far broader view of what can go wrong and look at the multiple and deeper causes of ill health.
- By understanding the philosophy and principles of an integrative approach, learners can negotiate the complex information available and develop management protocols that are simple and user friendly.
- The course will show practitioners how to develop simple yet effective ways of developing protocols for any condition no matter what the name of the disease entity.
Dr Bernard Brom is a medical doctor who has worked tirelessly over 40 years to find ways to help the body use its innate ability to heal. His approach has been supporting health rather than just treating disease.
In this quest he has explored the connections between body, mind and spirit.
Dr Brom graduated from the University of Cape Town’s Medical school in 1965 and then went on to specialise in Gastroenterology.
He gave up medicine for five years (1971-1976) to travel around the world. During this time he discovered that there were other ways to heal and treat people. When he returned to South Africa he made a decision to try to treat ill-health without drugs. To this end he studied naturopathy, acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine, homeopathy and how to use nutritional supplements and herbs to heal. He has also specialised in using the low-energy laser.
DR Brom has been writing a monthly newsletter for professionals for more than 20 years, was chairman of the South African Acupuncture Society, founder of the South African Society of Integrative medicine in 2001 and organised the first Congress of Integrative Medicine in South Africa. Although retired from active practice, he continues to write and research better ways to heal and understand the healing process.
Dr Brom’s courses teach doctors to shift their focus from disease to supporting health. His journey has moved from the simplicity of not knowing much; to complexity as his knowledge base increased; and then back to simplicity as he defined the principles of healing and recognised the innate and powerful healing potential within the body waiting to be activated.
In 2017 he published his book Healthy Medicine (Kima).
He is now working on his second book called the Art and Science of Medicine and is making a movie about the Art of Medicine.